The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

Indiana Schools Phone Law

Indiana lawmakers consider banning phones in school
Indiana Schools Phone Law

In a majority of schools right now across Indiana, teachers have the right to tell students to put their phones away in class. Or, in some cases, confiscate the students’ cell phones if they need to because of the distractions a cell phone can cause in a classroom setting. Multiple universities and organizations have examined what cell phones do in a classroom setting and found numerous interesting and helpful facts for teachers and faculty members. The overall statement that these universities and organizations have found is that teachers struggle with cell phones daily. According to Western Governors University,

“On one hand, teachers want students to learn how to manage their cell phones independently. On the other hand, the distraction phones create can be detrimental to both students and teachers. Power struggles ensue, wasting valuable class time.” Cell phones in school cause a major problem for both students and teachers, which is why the state of Indiana has decided to take this issue to the government level, with Indiana state legislators contemplating and discussing a bill that could completely ban and make cell phones illegal in school.

This bill would directly affect students in every grade in any school across Indiana, mostly targeting middle and high school students. Indiana lawmakers have been discussing and contemplating the bill in numerous sessions these past few weeks along with other bills that would change different things in schools across Indiana.

Senate Bill 185 states exactly, “Requires each school corporation and charter school to (1) adopt and implement a wireless communication device policy that governs student use of a wireless communication device, and (2) publish the policy on the school corporation’s or charter school’s website.” Authored by Senator Jeff Raatz, and Senator Stacey Donato.

Senate Bill 185 would take effect and be officially and permanently implemented into schools across Indiana on July 1, 2024, starting the 2024 school year with this bill. You can keep yourself updated daily with the process of this bill along with other bills here at Chalkbeat Indiana.

“Well what I would say is that phones are technically already not allowed in school and teachers are allowed to enforce not letting students be on their phones in school… but that’s also complicated because then if a student is on their phone during a lecture or test then that’s a problem but if you have study hall or something then I feel like it shouldn’t matter,” said Senior Dylan Chesnut.

Multicolor Professional Chronological Timeline Infographic (2)

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.