The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

Mental Health

The middle of the school year can be a tough time when it comes to finding motivation to persevere through the end of the year. Whether it be reinvesting in an old hobby or finding a trustworthy friend or adult to talk about it, there are ways to get back on track. It may not be obvious when motivation is running low, but it is important for one to take a break from stressful factors like school and social life. It may be necessary to speak with a teacher to express when one is feeling overwhelmed or stressed. Aside from self-efficient ways of improving mental health, it is important to pay close attention to other people’s mental health.

“If they are not acting themselves, or they’ve stopped doing things in their normal routine, then I would check in with them. You can reach out to their guidance counselor and say you haven’t’ heard from them, or reach out to their parents,” Teacher Kelly Stalcup said.

A few very common symptoms of mental health concerns are  falling out of routine and drifting from friends and family.

“In mental health we say you have to ‘name it to tame it’. Usually identifying what is stressing us out is very effective in reducing that stress. For students, social pressures, social media, academic demands, family situations, extracurriculars, jobs, and planning for the future are the biggest stressors I most commonly see,” Mental Health coordinator Emily Roscoe said.

She explains that the key to extinguishing everyday stressors is figuring out what is causing stress.

“It can be tricky, but you have to find what works for you. You have to learn how to relax and utilize coping skills (exercising, listening to music, writing, drawing, coloring, mindfulness, etc.) And learn how to manage the stressors.” Roscoe said.

“They can reach out to their school counselor, and then from there we have adult and child therapists, then we have a therapist from a place called Families First, then we have suicide prevention information around the building, or you could reach out to a trusted adult,” Guidance Counselor Laura Mikesell said.

MHS has several resources for individuals who feel they might need help themselves, or a friend in need. Mental health issues can be aided, no matter how big or small these issues seem.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.