The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

The Power Station

What is it?
Photo Taken by Shelby McCoy

The Mooresville High School has added a new feature to the downstairs Pavilion. To the right of the APC room is a new coffee station and snack bar.

They have an assortment of goods. Ranging from iced and hot coffees to baked goods and cold snacks. They are open from 7:15 a.m. to 1:50 p.m. serving breakfast and lunch. They first opened the snack bar on November 1 with a ribbon cutting to officiate its grand opening. All Mooresville students and staff can purchase items from the stand. Prices are typically cheap and vary from $0.50 to $3.50. They serve energy drinks as well as a daily change in smoothie flavors. The menu is provided below.

The Mooresville Facebook shared a video of the snack bar. The video can be viewed with this link

The creator of the Power Station, Daniel Williams, was asked the following questions.

“When was this idea started? “I have had the idea to add a coffee shop type of venue for several years now. It was a goal to get accomplished after remodeling the current serving lines and the cafeteria for Paul Hadley Middle School and Mooresville High School. With the serving lines being remodeled in 2020 and the cafeteria being updated in 2022, it was time to move the idea forward. In late 2022, Mike Mossbrucker, Athletic Director for Mooresville Schools, contacted me with a desire to provide additional nutritional options for students in the advanced physical conditioning classes after they finished their workouts. After some brainstorming we developed a plan to open the Power Station as a smoothie bar and coffee shop in the space It currently sits across from the weight room,” Williams said.

How did it get its name? “The Power Station name was created by the Athletic Department. It was fitting because of the idea of powering up our students and athletes,” Williams said.

How long did the project take? “Serious planning for the Power Station began late 2022. It took about a year to get plans drawn, menu developed, and equipment ordered. Opening day was November 1, 2023,” Williams said.

Who came up with the concept? “The whole concept was true collaboration between the athletic department and food serviced department, Williams said.

Why did they come up with this? “The concept was developed to provide additional nutritional options to our athletes and students. We wanted to continue to step our game in providing options and support to our school community. Athletics and Food Services working together to be trail blazers for our students,” Williams said.

Interesting things about this new feature to the school? “The star of the show at the Power Station are the smoothies and beverages. The smoothies are made from fresh fruit, yogurt, and milk to provide additional healthy fruits and protein to our students. The coffee served is a premium coffee from a local Indianapolis roastery called “Tinker Street Coffee.” We serve their Arc blend of beans and freshly grind them before using them in our coffee, and hot espresso beverages. It has been fantastic to work with such a great local coffee company. While the drinks might be the star, the food is a great supporting cast. The goal when planning the food options was to provide nutritional options that focused on providing protein whenever possible. Students can quickly grab breakfast from the Power Station with entrees that include fresh baked muffins, sandwiches, yogurt, parfaits, and overnight oats. The fresh salads and sandwiches served daily at lunch, pair well with our selection of drinks. We also have several easy to grab and go snack options such as fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, string cheese, and Greek yogurt.” Williams said.

Six students were asked some questions about the power station and the majority loved it.

Freshmen Jaylea Tharp and Cadence Williams love the power station so much that they go everyday. Williams explains how she likes the blue energy drink the most, while Tharp likes the iced latte the best. 

Sophomore Charlotte Hopkins agrees that the prices are pretty reasonable and it’s up to the students to spend the money. Senior Rachel Harshman loves it as well.

“I think the prices are reasonable and worth it, and I go after APC sometimes if I’m hungry and I heard about it through the strength coaches,” Harshman said. 

Juniors Addy Keith and Emily Dean shared that they love the Power Station. The prices are affordable and it’s very convenient to just go there and purchase food and drinks.
“It’s hard to find other schools that do have these snack bars, so having one at our school makes it of higher quality in my opinion,” Dean said. 

The Power Station was a much-needed and a much-appreciated addition to the school.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.