The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

National Honors Society Donation to Police Christmas Fund

Celebrating this Christmas with a Cop
+National+Honor+Society+presents+Shannon+Chambers+with+the+donation+on+behalf+of+the+Morgan+County+Sheriffs+Department.
Susan Haynes
National Honor Society presents Shannon Chambers with the donation on behalf of the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department.

Every year, the National Honor Society hosts a chapter event. With this being one of their main community service events, it’s important to understand what they are doing. The charity NHS is aiming to benefit is Christmas with a Cop. Jennifer Butler is a french teacher at Mooresville High School and a proud sponsor of the organization.

“The Morgan County Sheriff’s Department has a program called Christmas with a cop that provides gifts for children who may not have them otherwise,” Butler said.

The charity helps kids with parents who are struggling to find funds to afford Christmas. Kids who are in the system, with parents in jail, or parents in general with lower income will be paired with officers and are taken Christmas shopping. They take the kids shopping to get clothes, hygiene and other needed essentials. They also buy them winter coats, toys, and other necessities for the winter.

To help individuals, they planned a community outing. All precedes will go towards the Shop with a Cop. The event will take place on December 16 at the Martinsville Walmart, 410 Grand Valley Blvd.

Some members will participate in the Shop with a Cop event in just a few weeks. The Mooresville High School chapter of the National Honor Society wanted to help the program, so they raised money through the August event and donated it to the Sheriff’s Department. The NHS managed to raise $2,100 for the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department. They will then use this money to host a program that provides gifts for children. Thus, Christmas with a Cop got its name.

The officers, led by President Rachel Harshman, met and worked together to contact businesses to participate in the Touch A Truck event that they were fortunate enough to be invited to participate in by the Parks and Recreation department. The several local businesses included Angie Turley, Coffey Compass Group and Komets.

The event was August 12. After the touch-a-truck, the Parks and Recreation Department showed the movie Cars on an LED screen. This event raised the money for the whole charity.

“It’s an amazing way to give back to the community and I’m super grateful that we were able to be a part of it,” Harshman said.

Senior Brooke Wilson thinks it’s a really positive thing and makes these kids feel better about themselves and to know they’re still deserving of gifts and love. 

“These kids are so deserving of gifts and I’m really glad we get to help them get gifts for Christmas,” Wilson said.

This year’s Christmas with a cop will be a very memorable event thanks to the students in the National Honor Society.

Taylor Announces Retirement

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.