The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Some students are stocked up on energy drinks for the school week.
Energy Drinks
May 7, 2024
Prom Aftermath
Prom Aftermath
May 7, 2024
Allergies
Allergies
May 3, 2024
Songs of Summer
Songs of Summer
May 3, 2024

JV Basketball Game

MHS Versus Center Grove
Brynlee Gilliam
This photo displays Dane Browning and Silas Smith.

The Game of basketball evolves every day with new rules and regulations for athletes and coaches alike. Probably the hottest news is the probability of a “Shot Clock” in high school basketball. This is being implemented to speed the game up and make the game more exciting and faster paced. On February 13, Mooresville’s boys’ JV basketball team played against Center Grove. With an unfortunate loss, Mooresville takes it as a learning point, by assisting with what to improve for later games.

Junior Joey Thompson has been playing basketball for 13-14 years.

“I like my teammates, I knew them before I moved and they are great to work with and play with. Center Grove is good and we knew that going into the game so beating them would have been a big achievement for us.  Moving different schools is a lot harder than people think it is, but it is not bad at all,” Thompson said.

Sophomore Silas Smith has been playing basketball for eight years.

“It’s fun to play basketball with all my friends, just watching them grow and get better in the season is a lot of fun. Center Grove is a really good team but I think we came out and played well, but it kind of fell apart in the second half. I think we’ll definitely be better in sectionals when we see them again,” Smith said.

JV Coach Kevin Bradshaw is a proud coach for Mooresville Pioneers.

“As far as the players are concerned, the biggest difference is the student enrolment on each school. For example, Center Grove has 2,754 students to choose athletes from, while Mooresville has only 1391 students to choose from. As you can see the enrollment is almost doubled, and this becomes a big deal when trying to compete at a high level. They (Center Grove) simply have more athletes to choose from and compete with. Our games all year long have not necessarily been about our opponents, however it has been about how “us”. How we compete, how many turnovers we have in a game, how well we defend and understand the scouting reports, and if we play together or not. Having said that, I thought we played hard and competed well against a much larger Center Grove team, so therefore I was very proud to be the Coach of the MHS Pioneers,” Bradshaw said.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.