The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Some students are stocked up on energy drinks for the school week.
Energy Drinks
May 7, 2024
Prom Aftermath
Prom Aftermath
May 7, 2024
Allergies
Allergies
May 3, 2024
Songs of Summer
Songs of Summer
May 3, 2024

Wrestling Freestyle

This+photo+shows+the+crowded+gym+filled+with+people+supporting+their+wrestlers.+
Brynlee Gilliam
This photo shows the crowded gym filled with people supporting their wrestlers.

On April 6, Mooresville High School hosted the wrestling freestyle. Wrestling freestyle and Greco-Roman-style wrestling are the Olympic styles of wrestling. America is one of the only countries worldwide that wrestles Folkstyle (High School and College) wrestling. Greco-Roman-style wrestling is the oldest or “original” style of wrestling. In this style, you cannot attack the opponent’s legs.

Freestyle is the most popular style worldwide. There are so many differences in the styles, Folkstyle is a little slower and focuses more on controlling your opponent, whereas Freestyle focuses on taking more risks for maneuvers, you are rewarded in Freestyle for exposing your opponent’s back from the neutral position and if no action happens from the Par Terre position, the two wrestlers are brought back up on their feet or neutral. In Folkstyle, you are rewarded for simply holding your opponent down.

Coach Daniel Mikesell was the host for this freestyle on April 6.

“Hosting a Greco and Freestyle meet is one of our major fundraisers, we can make a few thousands of dollars on the weekend. The money goes to the Mooresville Wrestling Club which is a non-profit organization. We use that money to scholarship kids to camps and national trips, buy supplementary items for our wrestling team here at Mooresville, and for things we need for the club team as well. We have club sign-ups for elementary students in the fall for the wrestling club and our high school wrestlers become part of the Freestyle club after their season is over if they are not too involved in a Spring sport,” Mikesell said.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.