The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

Students and their Tunes

Students might wonder what their peers are listening to because of the wide variety of choices. Some choices of music are rap, rock, R&B, country, indie, etc. Music is popular amongst all age groups, and the younger generation has helped introduce different types of music to their peers. Some trending songs are, “I Remember Everything” (ft. Kacey Musgraves) by Zach Bryan, “Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo, and “Popular” by The Weeknd. Many people are accustomed to listening to one genre of music, but here are some opinions from students at Mooresville High School. Some platforms that you can listen to music on are, Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.

Indie music is music produced by an independent label, without the traditional resources of a major label.

“I mostly listen to indie music. I would say other people should try listening to it because the lyrics can be relatable and it just sounds pleasing to the ears,” senior Brooke Wilson said.

Heavy metal was popular during the late 80s, but some students still listen to it.

“I listen to metal and heavy metal music. There is a lot of chaos in my life, and I feel like my music expresses that but at the same time, it is relaxing,” junior Harlie Wilkins said.

Most teenagers do not listen to classical music, but there are benefits to it.

“I typically listen to classical music or instrumental jazz. I prefer to listen to something that sounds nice as well as provides background if I want to read or study. Other students should listen to it because it provides a good way to either relax or makes the day more fun while still keeping it productive,” senior Sarah Conlin said.

Lana Del Ray, an American songwriter, was mostly played in 2012 with her Born to Die album. Ray is coming back to popularity with teenagers today.

“I listen to music like Lana Del Ray. She is very soft-spoken and has such a good voice that everyone would love to listen to,” junior Braylea Burke said.

80s rock mostly included loud distorted guitars, emphatic rhythms, dense bass-and-drum sound, and vigorous vocals.

“I like 80s rock, I think students should listen to it because it is a blast from the past,” Media Specialist Barb Goddard said.

Some may listen to all genres of music, not specifically just one.

“I love all types of music, liking all music helps me get to know all types of music. Other students should listen to all types of music because it could help them relate with other peers,” Dean of Students Robyn Witty said.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.