The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

Student Drivers in Winter Weather

The Good and Bad of the Winter Season

The Winter season can be stressful  for everyone on the roads, but it is especially worse for new or student drivers. With conditions like icy roads and intense snow affecting vision driving becoming a lot more tense than usual. Not only this but parking lots can be a disaster with tons of young drivers in conditions that are new to them.

Some students are more comfortable driving in these conditions than others.

“Driving in the winter weather really isn’t terrible as long as you are aware of your surroundings and know when to start stopping,” Sophomore Rebecca Schulz said.

For other students the winter weather can affect their driving education. With more hostile conditions parents are less likely to allow their kids to navigate the roads either with them or by themselves. Many students drive a lot less in the winter season because of this and for those just learning to drive it interferes with learning different aspects of learning to drive.

Not only this but the weather can also affect classroom education as well. It’s up to the school to decide when they have delays or cancellations, these can happen for numerous reasons like snow, fog, ice, or just extreme cold.

“I like when we get a delay because I know not everyone is comfortable driving in different types of weather,” Sophomore Ashley Harshman said.

Students and parents can view delay and cancellation information at Mooresvilleschools.org.

When it comes to dealing with the roads students should slow down, increase their following distance, and use their best judgement.

“Just slow down and give yourself plenty of space between other driver because you never now how terrible they’re going to drive. It’s okay if people  get mad at you,” Science Teacher Kimberly Zook said.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.