The Student News Site of Mooresville High School

The Pulse

The Pulse

The Pulse

Energy was high at the Tim McGraw concert this April.
Summer Concerts
May 17, 2024
Last Day of School
Last Day of School
May 17, 2024
Photo illustration by Brynlee Gilliam
Summer School
May 16, 2024
Graduation Details
Graduation Details
May 15, 2024
Summer Vacations
Summer Vacations
May 15, 2024

Summer Job Ideas

Need a Little Extra Cash?
Photo submitted by Suzanna Paul

As the final weeks of school approach, summer break creeps closer. There are lots of ways to spend the weeks of freedom, but one of the most beneficial ways to utilize this time is to find a Summer job. Many teens are nearing many important milestones like purchasing their first car, so they are in need of  a money source. Even if they don’t need to buy anything large like this, some just want a little extra spending money. A lot of students aren’t sure whether they meet the age requirement to be hired. Most jobs require their employees to be at least 16, but some accept teens at the age of 15. One way to choose a job would be considering your interests. For example, one who is patient with people and works well in groups could work at a food joint.

Canva image created by Mikayla Sieczko

“Having a Summer Job gives me money for my awful spending habits and it also gets me out of the house,” senior Tori Hamilton said.

Hamilton works at Chunkey Monkey, which can get pretty busy on the hot days. Lots of people enjoy stopping for ice cream during high temperatures in the Summer, making this shop a great place to earn tips.

“The best part about life guarding to me honestly, it’s really just the fact that being out in the sun all day, all summer long is a part of my job. It is exhausting at times but it’s also very fun all at the same time. Having a job in the summer is nice in a way that I don’t have to schedule around many different extracurriculars and I’m able to work more with less stress,” junior Bella Brown said.

Brown works as a lifeguard at Pioneer Park.

Along with getting a job comes a lot of responsibilities like not being late and being productive.

“They’re going to need to be ready and on time and be on schedule. Show up, and your job is to do what they ask you to do. If you got a place you like working, a dollar more an hour isn’t a big deal. Don’t just chase money, and always dress a little better than what they wear on the job. Be courteous when you leave a place, be nice and up front about it, don’t burn bridges,” teacher David Blevins said.

Donate to The Pulse

Your donation will support the student journalists of Mooresville High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.